Tuesday, March 29, 2011

He Really Signed His Rights Away

An advertising agency is being criticized for using the likeness of a NYC firefighter in an advertisement.
The ad was created for the company's client, law firm Worby Groner Edelman & Napoli Bern.
Say that three times fast.


The firefighter has objected, stating that he joined the fire department in 2004.
So while he may have been there on 9/11/04, he was not there on the other 9/11.

He was holding a helmet in the original photo, but with a magic eraser, he ends up holding a photo of the crumbling twin towers.

The spokesperson for the advertising agency Barker/DZP, before making a heart-felt apology, slipped and stated that the action was legal because the firefighter "really signed his rights away."

(Full article here.)

2 comments:

  1. I've been following your blog on and off since the beginning after doing a little Google research on Disney after seeing Sarah Haskins rip apart the Disney princesses on her weekly comedy sketch. (Have you seen that clip? I'll send you the link if you want.) I've never commented before, so I just wanted to delurk and say hi and THANK YOU for your fabulous, insightful posts. I've passed them on to several of my friends. I'm not a mother, but I plan to be one day, and my friend's daughters' obsessions with Barbies, Bratz, and princesses has me terrified. It's nice to know I'm not the only one out there who thinks this stuff is crazy and harmful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brooke---thanks for de-lurking! I love Sarah Haskins, and have posted one of her pieces on here. But I had not seen the DP one. I'm going to post it, thanks for pointing it out!

    ReplyDelete