Thursday, June 3, 2010

Food for Thought

81% of 10 year old girls are afraid of being fat.
                                                                              (Mellin et al., 1991)

That study was published 19 years ago.

About 6 years from now, will my daughter be in the majority?
Or will she be among the 19% of girls not afraid of catching the fatness?

How old were you when you started experiencing your body as something other than great for double dutch jump rope, recess races, and spinning in circles until you fell down dizzy?

Sometimes, when my daughter looks into the bathroom mirror while brushing her teeth, I crouch beside her and rest my chin on her shoulder,
"Aren't we beautiful?"
She always agrees.

When she pats my belly, I pat it with her, "Oh, my lovely belly, I love you loveliest belly!"
She always laughs.

When we say our Thank You's at the end of the day, I try to remember to throw in one about the usefulness of having a working body, "And Thank You for my wonderful legs, that I can run, and ride a bicycle, and walk the dog."
Or my fantastic lips for talking and singing.
Or my fabulous fingers, for rolling play-doh and picking flowers.

It is possible that this approach could produce an ego-maniac instead of a self-assured girl.

But if it keeps her in the 19%, it just might be worth it.

1 comment:

  1. I love the idea of the "Thank Yous." And yes, totally, completely worth it.

    You are such a good mom.

    ReplyDelete